Wednesday, December 31, 2008

What I've Learned in 2008

Esquire is my favorite magazine, and what first got me into the magazine is when I first read one of their "What I've Learned" interviews, where they interview prominent people about the things they've learned in life. So here's my "What I've Learned" in 2008, either through my own experiences or those of friends:


  • Do what you want to do, not what you think you're supposed to do or what you think others want you to do. This has been a work in progress for me, as I used to fall into the trap of doing the latter. But this year I've made big strides in this department.

  • When it comes to tough decisions, going with your heart can't be wrong.

  • The best way I've found to de-stress or clear my head is with good music.

  • Sleep is good. If you can make time for it, sleep more. My dad advocates 8.5 hrs—I've found that being closer to that number is better than being further.

  • New York is the best city in the world. I've believed this for a while, but now that I'm over a year removed from being a resident, it rings even more true.

  • Macs are better than PCs. I've had one of my most frustrating years as a PC user, and finally decided to give Macs a try. It was a good decision. (@MichaelMorrissey–this recent development has no bearing on our disagreements on Apple VS IBM in 5th/6th grade.)

  • Always, ALWAYS firmly negotiate a price with a locksmith BEFORE he performs his services. Otherwise be prepared to hear an absurd number.

  • When sick, just because you feel all better doesn't mean you're fully healthy yet. Take it slow.


No comments: