Saturday, October 25, 2008

Follow-up thoughts on being a Mac (1+ month in)

Just wanted to follow-up on my previous post with some things I forgot to mention and my impressions now that I've been using my MacBook Pro for over a month.

One of the biggest positives of OSX is no longer having the lame Flash bug I had on both Vista machines I was running. This annoying bug only played flash videos for 2 seconds and without sound. It effectively made it impossible to watch most online videos, including YouTube! It's amazing when things work as you expect them to.

The lack of a right-mouse button on the notebook itself hasn't been as bad since I use a USB mouse at work that has a right mouse-button that works fine (without any configuring on my part).

I was frustrated that tabbing with the keyboard seemed to always skip dropdown boxes. Thanks to writing this post, I forced myself to finally try figuring it out and a google search helped me find some help in changing this. I just activated it so haven't used it in normal browsing yet, but one thing i've noticed is that when tabbing to the dropdown box i don't seem to be able to expand the list of options, only cycle through them. Hopefully there's a way to do that, but i'm too tired to search for that answer right now.

All-and-all, i'm pretty surprised how quickly i adapted to using my MacBook Pro and OSX, and it's amazing how clunky PCs feel to me now. So far, the MacBook Pro has proven to be a more elegant machine, and OS X has not surprisingly been a far superior OS to Windows.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

There are two ways to "right-click" on a MacBook:

CTL + Click = right-click

or

Enable two-finger tap on the track pad under system settings.

Unknown said...

Hi Dan,

I'm not quite a week in to using a new MacBook Pro -- an experience I'm enjoying.

Anyway, I found it interesting that you also had the "2 second" Flash bug. I finally found a solution to that: I use Google Chrome on Windows. I can then kill the Flash plugin without exiting the browser. Than I just refresh the page and all is good after Flash is restarted. I don't lose any browsing tabs either. It's really great that this bug doesn't exist on Mac OS X, though.

Next, I very happy that the new MBP has right click in the way we all want it: clicking the right side of the pad with your thumb. Without this, I don't know that I could handle using the machine without a USB mouse. (@kevin: I had to turn off the two-finger click because it would happen right when I wouldn't want it to.)

Finally, THANK YOU SO much for posting a link as to how to fix the tabbing thing. I've goofed on a some forms because I had assumed it would work but it didn't. It's very strange default behavior.

Thanks!